Friday, December 12, 2008

A Great Day!

It was an all around great day today. I got to meet THE president!
Okay, so I didn't get to meet him but I did get to hear him speak. So I went from never seeing a president ever to seeing two today! What an awesome experience!

I like this picture because it captures him making his most famous face. He was an amazing speaker and it was by far the best commencement speech I have ever heard. Some of my favorite things he said was when he was talking about Robert Gates. He said, "When I asked Bob to be the Secretary of Defense, it was clear how much he loved Texas A&M . . . And I was even more impressed when he insisted on standing during the Cabinet meetings - claiming he was the "12th Man." One day, he explained it all. He said: 'Mr. President, I'm red ass.'"

I also thought it was funny when he said, "When you leave this campus, you will be well prepared for any endeavor you choose. To those of you who have jobs lined up, congratulations. To those not exactly sure what comes next -- I know how you feel."

He very poetically said, "There will be times when people tell you a different way is more accepted or popular. Remember that popularity is as fleeting as the Texas wind. Character and conscience are as sturdy as the oaks on this campus."


But the most touching thing he said was, "And finally, be on the lookout for role models -- people whose conduct you admire and whose paths you can follow. With that in mind, I have one last example of courage and service. It's a story of a young man who left comfort behind to answer his nation's call, became the youngest pilot in the Navy, and nearly gave his life in World War II. When he came back home, he devoted his career to public service, and proved that success in politics can be accomplished with decency and grace. He reached the pinnacle in government, but he defines his life by other roles -- a father who gave unconditional love, a grandfather devoted to his grandchildren, and a beloved husband of the sweetheart he married a lifetime ago. Some of you will leave A&M with a degree that carries this good man's name -- George Bush. I have been blessed and honored to have carried it for 62 years."

Seeing our sitting president speak was amazing but the best part of today was getting to watch my brother-in-law graduate with his Doctorate in Entomology.





Getting to live so close to Robert and Jennifer for the last six years has been a blessing. We are so thankful that our children get to grow up with them in our lives. Congratulations Dr. Puckett! We are so grateful that we have been able to be with you throughout this process. We are so proud of you!

2 comments:

Kierstyn said...

Very, very cool!

Mandy said...

grandma got here last night and showed me her Christmas presents from you and Jennifer...those books are awesome. You guys have some great pics of your super cute kiddos...hopefully we'll all get to be together this summer! love ya