Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jack is working the system, friends!

Caution . . . Lot's of poopoo and peepee talk to follow!

So, my boys are almost three and aren't even close to being potty trained. I am convinced that twin boys don't EVER get potty trained! Unless you have a bathroom with two potties, forget it! I bought the little kid potties and even tried using them in the living room so that they wouldn't think of the BIG potty but it did not work. When we are in the bathroom, they both want to sit on the big potty; at the same time! There's a trick!

So, I had given up on the whole idea and came to an understanding that I would have to continue to change my boys diapers forever!

In one last ditch effort, I thought I would try talking to them about it like big boys. I explained to them that big boys go potty in the potty and that if they need to go potty, they just need to tell me and we will go to the bathroom. Like any good teacher would, I explained it to them, had them repeat it back to me, explained it to them again, had them repeat it back to me again, and on and on. I did a really good job selling it, they repeated everything I said and were so excited about it. Literally five seconds later, Jack poops in his diaper. I think he was probably pooping while we were talking about it.

So, I give up on the "Big Boy" talk and finally say, "Okay listen, if you go peepee in the potty, I'll give you a sucker! Poopoo in the potty gets you TWO suckers!" Well, that's pretty much all Jack needed to hear (all their lives I have been pretty stingy with the candy so I think candy might buy me anything with them). So now, Jack is working the system. Unlike most children who might have an urge to go to the bathroom and then would get a sucker for that, Jack has an urge for a sucker and then decides he can squeeze out some pee. When that sucker is finished, he goes back to the bathroom, peepees a little more and gets another sucker. OH! What is a mother to do?!?!

James on the other hand is in a phase that he thinks he can cry long enough and wear us down. He REALLY wants a sucker and it is really hard on him seeing Jack with twenty suckers hanging out of his mouth but I am trying to stick to my guns. No peepee or poopoo in the potty . . . NO SUCKER!!!!

So, does anyone out there have any great ideas for potty training. Tips on potty training twin boys would be great!

(I'd post some pictures of tonights events but I think they might be inappropriate!)

3 comments:

Taylor said...

No twins! However, I resorted to M&Ms with Grayson...same system! I was so frustrated, but then one day he just got it! I will pray for you with two! :)

My struggle now...3 boys and misfiring! It would disgust you to all end for me to describe the wall/shower curtain/ cabinets/mirror that are in the firing range of their toilet. We put Fruit Loops in the toilet water and have made it a game to hit certain colors. We will see how it goes!

Hope all is well!

Kierstyn said...

Taylor.... EEEWWWW!!!

Sarah, I had the same system (with M&M's) as you have. When potty training Micah, I found a switch in the sytem that seemed to help. Rather than giving him candy for producing something, I gave him candy if I took him to the bathroom, he tried AND his pants were dry. Wet pants = no candy. That saved me from all those little trips to the bathroom.

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

In all of my great years of experience I have found that...